Another country has been named in the list of countries sending its spaceship to Mars. And the name of this country is the United Arab Emirates(UAE). This country with a population of 9 million has taken an important step and launched its first Mars mission. This mission is not only the first of this country, but it is also the first time that a Muslim nation has launched a Mars mission. The name of this mission is ‘Hope’, whose Arabic name is ‘Al Amal’. And the launched date of Hope mission was 19 July 2020. Under this mission, the Emirates has sent its orbiter to Mars which will revolve around Mars and check its atmosphere. The launch of this spacecraft was cancelled twice, firstly on 14 July 2020 and then on 16 July 2020 due to bad weather.
Goal of the Emirates Mars Mission
The UAE is primarily promoting it as an Arab space mission. They say that in addition to the UAE, a large Arab population is inhabited in Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar and a lot of Arabic people inhabiting in Africa as well, so goal of the Emirates Mars mission is to encourage their youth that in the field of science and technologies they can also move forward and contribute and that is why this mission is named ‘Hope’ or ‘Al-Amal’. If this mission is successful, then it will be the first Inter Planetary Mission of the Arab country in West Asia and that is why much enthusiasm is being seen and appreciated in all the Muslim nations. In countries like UAE where the literacy rate is very good, there is a lot of curiosity about this mission among the people.
Small History of Mars Mission
Do you know how many countries succeeded to put spacecraft in Mars’ orbit? If we look at the history of Mars mission, so far there are only 4 such countries which have succeeded to reach the red planet after some attempts and that is..
1) America’s NASA — Firstly NASA succeeded to reach the Mars on their second attempt and it was first fly by mission that reached on 15th July 1965. And success in establishing the probe in Mars orbit was also achieved by NASA on their second attempts, which was reached on 14 November 1971 but deactivated after 516 days after entering orbit.
2) The Soviet Union – The Soviet Union succeeded after 9 launch failure from 10th Oct 1960 to 10th May 1971. And finally got the success in orbiter mission on 19th May 1971 which was reached on 27th November 1971 and was operated for 362 orbits.
3) European Space Agency(ESA) – European Space Agency succeeded entering Mars orbit on 2nd June 2003 and have enough fuel to remain operational until 2026.
4) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) – India is the first country that succeeded to reach the Mars on the first attempt. India’s probe was reached on 24th September 2014 and it is still operational.
Now after the fourth, there is a collision for the fifth position, which country will be the fifth which will reach Mars. Because China has also launched its mission on 23 July 2020.
Facts Behind Emirates Mars Mission
The Emirates’s spacecraft Hope is sent by a Japanese H 2A rocket from Japanese private company Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and it has been launched from the Tanegashima Space Center in Kagoshima, Japan. Whereas all the operations is led by the Mohammed bin Rashid Space Center (UAE). The total cost of this mission is around 200 million US dollar, the spacecraft will reach in February 2021.
Hope probe has to cover a distance of about 500 (493.5) million kilometres to reach Mars, which will take 7 months.. In 2021 itself, the UAE will complete 50 years of its formation. Hope weighs around 1500 kg and is equipped with several scientific instruments such as.. 1) exploration imager (high resolution camera) 2) ultraviolet spectrometer (UV spectrograph) 3) Mars infrared spectrometer and FTIR scanning spectrometer.
The Important tasks of the Hope
1) The spacecraft will orbit Mars to study the Martian atmosphere and its interaction with outer space and solar winds coming from sun
2) Hope will collect data on Martian climate dynamics which should help scientists understand why Mars’ atmosphere is decaying into space.
3) Giving them clues about why the atmosphere changed, to search for a connection between current weather on Mars and the one that existed.
The Countries Who Helped Emirates on This Mission
The UAE spacecraft Hope is made by America’s Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado, Boulder with support of Arizona State University and University of California Berkeley. Apart from this, the Indian space agency ISRO is also helping UAE. In 2014 ISRO and UAE Space Agency signed MoU under which India has guided UAE for its launch in 2019, because like Mangalyaan the Hope orbiter first will increase its speed by orbiting the Earth and then will go out of the gravity of Earth and move towards Mars.
So it is a time of great pride for the UAE as it is appreciated worldwide. NASA’s Perseverance Rover and Curiosity Rover have sent messages to welcome Hope and congratulate her on her contribution. Apart from this, UAE has promoted very well so that people take interest in the field of science and technologies. This will build healthy competition in Asia and will also promote science and technologies.